Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Meeting the folks...

As I mentioned in my last post, this past weekend my boyfriend's parents flew in from Chicago to spend the weekend with us. Their flight was a little delayed, so we ended up picking them up from the airport at about 11:30pm on Friday night. Since it was so late, we didn't do much of anything except go to bed when we got home.

On Saturday morning, we headed to the Metro station and boarded the train that would take us to Washington D.C. for the day. Brian had scheduled a tour of the U.S. Capital building for us at 12:30 but we were running late (as usual!) so we skipped that appointment and decided to grab lunch first. We ate at the cafeteria there, which actually had pretty decent food! After lunch, we resumed our original plan of going on our tour. The tour started out with a short video that was called "Out Of Many: One" which told about some of the history of the United States, and the meaning behind "E Pluribus Unum" (the phrase that is found on the back of most coins). We saw alot of statues and paintings and heard lots of stories about the history of our great country. Our tour guide was a tall guy named Mike, who looked pretty dorky at first glance but he turned out to be very funny... maybe even hilarious! After our tour, we went to the gift shop and bought a few souveniers. Then we took a cab over to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. We walked around there for awhile and looked at all the different exhibits... then, of course, we visited the gift shop for some more souveniers. After another cab ride, we boarded the Metro that would take us back to our (my) car. We were supposed to meet up with Brian's college buddy Jith and his girlfriend Christine (a.k.a. Marathoner) at an Irish Pub/Restaurant in D.C. called James Hoban's but we decided to meet somewhere else instead because Brian's dad's feet were sore from the boots he was wearing and that would've involved too much walking... secretly, I was pretty glad about the change in plans because A) my feet were hurting too, and B) I had looked up the menu for James Hoban's and pretty much nothing there sounded very appetizing to me! So, instead, we met up with Jith & Marathoner at the Buffalo Wild Wings in College Park. We had appetizers, dinner, and many MANY drinks during our 4-hour stay. Yes, that was FOUR hours! As the only sober party, I was appointed the designated driver... and, as only my luck would have it, very shortly into the 11-mile drive there was an accident about 30 feet ahead of us on northbound 95... a tractor trailer that was carrying a 2nd piggy-back trailer decided to jack-knife in the middle of the road and rupture one of it's saddle tanks. After two hours of sitting in gridlocked traffic and not moving whatsoever, we were finally on our way. It took us about 2.5 hours to go about 12 miles from the restaurant to home. CRAZY!!! If that's not some quality bonding time, I don't know what is! LoL

On Sunday, our original plan was to go to the Inner Harbor but since we went to bed so late on Saturday and subsequently woke up so late on Sunday morning, we revamped our game plan. Brian wanted to take his parents to a restaurant called Timbuktu in Hanover. The problem with that was that Sunday was Valentine's Day and EVERYWHERE was packed! Without reservations, you were pretty much screwed. We waited for about 45 minutes before we were finally seated, only to find that they had changed the menu for the holiday and nothing was under about $25. So we revamped our game plan... again! This time we went to a restaurant not far from Timbuktu called Gunnings. We got crab balls as an appetizer, since the whole point had been for Brian's parents to try crabcakes for the first time. Brian's mom had a bowl of Maryland crab soup for her lunch and his dad had some steamed shrimp. After lunch we went to a pretty neat place called Savage Mill, and walked around for awhile. Once we were back at home, Brian's dad went to work on his famous pork roast. Brian had bought a rack for the roast, but the pan he had wasn't long enough, so he and I went out to look for a bigger pan. As we were walking out to the car, I slid on some ice in the parking lot and fell FLAT ON MY FACE! Despite the many layers of fat and my ginormous boobs that should've protected me, I felt my ribs hit the ground. My elbows were both bruised and scraped up, one of my knees was bruised and scraped, the palms of my hands were scraped up, and my right index finger was jammed pretty bad! It was NOT fun, AT ALL!! I'm still sore but I'm feeling much better than I was a few days ago!

On Monday, we went to the Inner Harbor in Baltimore. We walked around for awhile and bought some more souveniers... and we went for a tour of the U.S.S. Constellation, which was pretty cool! We headed to the airport and grabbed some lunch at Du Claw while we waited for it to be time to say goodbye to Brian's parents, as they headed back to Chicago. It was sad to say goodbye, but we'll be seeing them again in about 6 weeks when we'll be spending 5 days there for a wedding. All in all, it was a great weekend! I think things went well and I hope that Brian's parents liked me as much as I liked them!

*** on a side note... for the entire weekend, Brian's dad kept calling my cat Myrtle "Mildred" which I thought was quite possibly the funniest thing ever!!! ***

No comments: