Tuesday, August 31, 2010

August Rush

Well, time continues to FLY by... I can't believe that today is the last day of August! The first day of the 2010-2011 school year was yesterday, which means Fall is right around the corner! August has been quite the busy month for me... even busier than usual... and probably my most hectic month this year, so far! So what have I done this month?

Well, for starters, 1/3 of the month was spent in Chicago with Brian's family. Before we left, my schedule underwent lots and lots of switching and flexing... I worked just about every single day right up until we left. Same thing when we came home! Going there, our flight was delayed for 5 hours! By the time we landed in Chicago, I had been awake for more than 30 hours and I was feeling every minute of it! Things didn't slow down much once we were there. We spent Friday afternoon running last-minute errands for his sister's wedding, then spent the evening at her house going over the details for the next day. Brian and I spent Friday night in a hotel which was kinda fun since that's not something we get to do everyday. On Saturday morning, after breakfast at the hotel, Debbie (Brian's Mom's friend) and I went to get a manicure/pedicure, which was also fun. The wedding went off without a hitch... I'm glad I was able to be there and see Mr. and Mrs. Stan Kuba take their vows and start their life together as husband and wife. The reception was very entertaining... everyone had a blast, especially Brian... by day he may be an electrical engineer, but by night he's a dancing machine!! :)

Brian & I weren't the only out-of-towners who came in for Kelly & Stan's wedding... quite a few of his Mom's relatives drove up from Kentucky, so it was nice to finally be able to put a face with the names I've been hearing about!

Here are some other things we did during our vacation:

  • toured downtown Chicago (Navy Pier, Buckingham Fountain, Sears Tower, Millennium Park, etc)
  • tasted my 1st authentic Chicago dog
  • went to my first White Sox baseball game (they won!!)
  • had some Giordano's stuffed pizza
  • had an ice cream cone that was bigger than my head from The Plush Horse
  • spent many hours floating in the pool
  • relaxed and enjoyed our time off with family and friends

I had a great time in Chicago but I also got a little homesick by the end of our vacation... I really missed my Myrtle Jean!! The same day we came home, I went back to work for lots more switching and flexing. There's no rest for the weary! :)

Some other notable things that took place this month...

While we were on vacation, my friend Leslie's husband Brad died unexpectedly. Brad was only 35 years old; he and Leslie had two small children, Brooke (2) and Landon (1). I can't imagine how Leslie must be feeling... unfortunately, I wasn't able to be as supportive to her as I would've liked since we were out of town for his viewing and the funeral. Once we came home, I tried to help out when I could... I watched Brooke and Landon a couple times so she could run some errands.

Myrtle also gave me a good scare... the weekend after we came home from Chicago, she started throwing up. Now, I've had Myrtle for 12 years so I'm aware that she throws up occasionally... sometimes even regularly... but when it lasted for 48 hours straight, I knew there was a problem. By the time I was able to take her to the vet on Monday morning, I had more than 20 separate spots of cat vomit to clean up all over the house... literally, TWENTY! The vet gave her some shots to help settle her stomach and they did some blood work to try to figure out what was wrong. $255 later, we found out that she has a feline version of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Only MY cat would have something like that... LoL

Brian & I have been thinking about getting a dog... we've gone to the Humane Society a few times to look at dogs and we've seen a few that we have liked. Brian grew up with dogs and I grew up with cats... Brian has been so good about "putting up" with Myrtle and all her eccentricities, it's only fair that he get to have a dog too. We've discussed it quite a bit and we think we'd like to get a beagle. Hopefully we'll be able to find the perfect guy/gal for us soon! :)

On August 24th, my niece Sara turned 10 years old. I cannot believe it's been a whole decade since my little brownie entered our lives!

At the end of the month was Joppa-Magnolia's annual fire company picnic at Valley Brook Country Club. Brian and I went, along with my mom, sister, niece Hannah and family friend Jacqueline. We had steamed crabs, hamburgers, hot dogs, salads, desserts, etc. We also spent some time having fun in the many pools they have there. It was the perfect end-of-summer event!

Speaking of the end-of-summer... after much deliberation, I finally made the decision to return to CCBC this Fall and finish my 2nd year of the Paramedic program. Completing this program was one of the goals I came up with for myself a few years ago... my 1st year of the program was successful and I walked away as an EMT-I. Last Fall, my plan took a little bit of a detour and I got a little discouraged but with some support and encouragement from Brian, I decided to return this year and finish what I started. With that said, the next 9 months or so are going to be quite busy but I know I can handle it. I've got my eye on the prize... :)

I think that's about it for August... see ya next month for September's Happenings!

No comments: