Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Feeling a little blue...

Actually, I'm not feeling blue at all... but my bedroom sure is! =) Yesterday I officially finished my first "project" at the Brian's new house - painting my bedroom! Yaaaaaaaayyyyy!!!

The house has 3 bedrooms upstairs... a master bedroom and 2 smaller spare bedrooms. When Brian first bought the house, we agreed that we would dedicate one of the spare bedrooms as a "sleeping room" for me. The bedroom originally belonged to a 4 year old little boy so it was a light powder-blue color with white clouds painted on the tops of the walls and a Winnie-the-Pooh border positioned in the middle of the wall all the way around the room. Now, I don't have anything against Winnie but he's not exactly my first choice in bedroom decor either... and Brian hates borders so we knew the border was going to be the first thing to go! We also thought the room would look nice with some fresh paint... but there are so many colors to choose from! During our brainstorming, Brian & I decided that the room would most suit my sleeping needs if it was painted a darker blue color... we planned to put up some room darkening shades and black-out curtains to help make the room as dark and cave-like as possible for maximum snoozing potential! LoL We looked at paint samples in stores and online and finally came up with a few that we liked... we were all set, or so we thought! That was until Saturday, when we went to the store to buy the paint! One of the colors we'd picked looked too dark and one of them looked too light... it was like Goldilocks meets painting! So we looked around some more and finally found a color that we both liked... it's called "Bluer Than Blue" by Valspar. So we bought a gallon of the paint and various other supplies we would need for the project.


One day last week, I had worked for a couple hours to take down the border... when I was finished, I wiped down the walls to get rid of the leftover adhesive residue. On Sunday morning, Brian was busy taking care of a friend in need so I decided to take that opportunity to go over to the new house and tape the walls so that the room would be ready for painting. After I finished all the taping, I was really curious about how the new paint was going to look on the walls... I decided to paint a small portion of one of the walls to see how the new color would look. Once I got started, it was hard to stop! I decided I wanted to surprise Brian by painting the WHOLE room without any help from him... I managed to get most of the room covered in the first coat before he got there to see it. When he got there, he was very surprised! They don't call me Tricky Nikki for nothing... =)


This morning, I went back over and put a second coat of paint on. Then I worked on the corners and the edges of the walls. (yes, I know... a little backwards! but I did learn a few valuable painting lessons that will be put to good use next time around!) A few hours later and the next thing I knew, I was standing back taking in the view of my masterpiece! LoL I can't wait to go over tomorrow and peel away the tape to see the finished product... of course I've got a few little boo-boo's to fix too... a couple slips of the wrist resulted in a blue splotch on the ceiling, the baseboard, and 3 little drops of paint on the carpet (YIKES!) but it's nothing that I can't fix! I've also got a little boo-boo on the palm of right hand, from all that rolling... but you know what they say, no pain no gain!


All in all, I think I did pretty well... now I'm getting more excited about painting the sunroom - an even BIGGER project! Check out my before, during & after pictures of the bedroom... what do you think?











before picture #1















before picture #2
















before picture #3... bye-bye Winnie! =)














trying out the new paint!













not too sure what to think about the color just yet?



















after picture #1... the corner and part of the closet door



















after picture #2... the bedroom door and part of the wall




















after picture #3... another corner and part of the window
(don't mind the glare on the wall!)















after picture #4... the closet doors

















after picture #5... the bedroom and closet doors














all finished!!

















oops #1 - the ceiling!












oops #2 - the baseboard













oops #3 - the carpet! =(














oops #3a - more carpet! =(















the red marks on my hand from all that rolling! LoL














1 comment:

April E. :) said...

Ahhh WELL DONE!! That IS going to be a GREAT room for sleeping! And go-you for painting all that. I ABHOR painting...and they call me..."drippy." Yeah, never ask me to help paint!